Sunday, July 19, 2009

Carmen, Rent and BoCo

I live a pretty hectic life in general, but it is nothing compared to this place. I get up every morning at 7, and I don't stop rushing until 10:30 or 11 at night. The experience is incredible though. I am learning more than I ever thought that I would.
One of the most interesting classes that I have is Diction, which a first glance is not very exciting. But, we learn IPA, which is this way to make the sounds of any language. So, it has different symbols for every vowel and consonant sound and blend. You can IPA a french word or a Russian word, or you can IPA the British vs American accent of a word. I just think that's so interesting.
The classes are all super interesting. In every single one, you're learning all the time.
Friday, we had our first recital. It was a RIDICULOUSLY long recital. 45 people sang for 5 minutes each. It was intense, but it did show how talented everyone is. I'd only been able to see a few of the people sing, and they were all really good, but being able to see that everyone was at that level was very good.
The weekend is full of all these incredible opportunities. Saturday, we got up, and we went on a boat tour of the harbor and the river in Boston. We also, got to go through the locks. They were so interesting! It was super weird too because we almost ran over a pair of ducks. :(
After the boat tour, we went back to the dorm and left almost immediately to go to Carmen. My voice teacher here is the woman who played Carmen, and she's incredible!! She is PERFECT for that role. The opera itself was pretty good. The costumes and set and theater were not the most professional, but the singing was past professional. Both leads were pretty phenomenal. I enjoyed it immensely on many levels. One of which is the fact that the opera was entirely in French. I was so excited that I was able to understand 80% of it! I felt so cool cause i understood little jokes that the rest of the theater didn't really get. :D
Today, we went to Harry Potter! It was good, but only decently. The real steal of the weekend was Rent. We just got back from seeing Rent in the big Boston theater. The cool part was that two of the original cast were reprising their roles, Rodger and Mark. It was phenomenal. It felt so much like a concert. Everyone was on their feet screaming at the end. The story of Rent touches me every single time. I don't think there were very many dry eyes when Angel died.

I apologize if this doesn't make sense because I'm really tired right now.
But, I love you all. :D
Clara

1 comment:

  1. Okay - so I am very impressed - and so happy that you are having this incredible experience. Carmen is phonomenal - Bizet was a genius - French is my fav language to sing with German second... I absolutely adore Rent - I never tire of it - and am jealous you got to view it! Keep learning, having fun and singing....and I don't envy the diction - I hated it all the way through but still find myself dissecting and assigning to this day! - You and Ford will always remember this summer!

    ReplyDelete